Europe map (Small)

Scytale

Shaping the Old World
Hello,

This is a small map featuring Europe and some parts of Africa and the Middle East. It is dedicated to all those who can't play on huge maps ;) .
I just finished it so the resources might not be all in the right place, however I will post updates as I playtest it and get everything right.

Again, concernig the resource layout, I would appreciate any sugestions you might give me.

Civs: England
France
Germany
Spain
Rome
Grece
Russia
Egypt
Arabia
Mali

The Arabs start in Turkey because I wanted to have some kind of Ottoman empire.
The Malinese start in northern Africa - to make life hard on the spanish ;).
Every other civ is where is supposed to be.

I want to thank Lehawk for helping me with the WBS. I would have had a hard time without him.

Have a nice game :) !

Scytale

Attachments

• Small Europe ver.1.1.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 2,988
Screenshot

Attachments

• small europe1.JPG
    small europe1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 5,287
Instead of the Malinese and the Arabs, you could marge the two public mods to get Carthaginian and Turks Empires.

And you're welcome for the help!

Lehawk said:
Instead of the Malinese and the Arabs, you could marge the two public mods to get Carthaginian and Turks Empires.

And you're welcome for the help!

I already wanted to get Carthage but I don't know how to do that...maybe you could help me with that too?

Scytale said:
I already wanted to get Carthage but I don't know how to do that...maybe you could help me with that too?

Sure! Just add the following to the WBS file!

Code:
	ModPath=Mods/Jecrell [Carthage]

The teams are in order from 0-16. Using the team# from the BeginPlayer, put the following Techs like:

Code:
BeginTeam
	Tech=TECH_FISHING
	Tech=TECH_THE_WHEEL
EndTeam

This is what you put for the Player blocks, make sure you match the civ's team number that you replaced.

Code:
BeginPlayer
	Team=1
	LeaderType=LEADER_HANNIBAL
	CivType=CIVILIZATION_CARTHAGE
	PlayableCiv=1
	StartingX=25, StartingY=19
EndPlayer

Hats off for the fun map! This is just the sort of European history sim I was looking for. I've been having a blast playing as the English. Really good work here!

My only caveat is that the small size map doesn't "play" like "small" on my weak older system...it plays like Standard or even large...I have some lag and slow down in the latter eras which I usuallly don't see on regulation small maps. Is it because of the ten civs?

Picky1999 said:
Hats off for the fun map! This is just the sort of European history sim I was looking for. I've been having a blast playing as the English. Really good work here!

My only caveat is that the small size map doesn't "play" like "small" on my weak older system...it plays like Standard or even large...I have some lag and slow down in the latter eras which I usuallly don't see on regulation small maps. Is it because of the ten civs?

I'm glad you like it! I think it's both because of the ten civs but also because it uses more land than a ordinary civ4 small map.

Interestingly, I am now at 1680 (Noble) and all ten Civs are still in existence, in their roughly historical geographic areas, with nearly equal capabilities (well...almost...there's some weaklings...) and lots of political give and take/alliance entanglements. We just came out of period of war where numerically superior Russia surprise declared on me(England) and then I brought in Germany, Spain, and Rome against her. It was fought to stalemate, as Russia has this huge orange area with Moscow buried deep in, and before that a a seemingly endless supply of fortified cities, Cossacks and steppe....Russia may be too powerful..we'll see once we reach the Modern Era. She's first at 2130 points, with my second at 1990, but I have a tech edge.

And, Britannia rules the seas...

This may be the funniest round of this game I've ever played!

Yea, what's awesome about this map is that the Civs almost always end up in their historical locations. It's really cool to see and play the game, this is hands down my favorite European map so far.

Excellent work.

..I was worried that the resource allotment might make the play unbalanced when I saw Russia's lead ballooning away in the late 1600's (just about the time oil comes into play...) but these fears were unfounded when England, Germany and the Greeks ganged up on her after she attacked. Big mistake as it was just the time I was getting marines, artillery, and destroyers. I stole one city, Greece stole two, and Germany chewed up her ground forces, knocking her back from 1st to 6th place in less than 5 turns.

I had trouble as England getting ahold of oil so had to rush to plastics to build off-shore, but as the world's number one tech dealer, I traded it off once I got it for some stuff I'd bypassed.

It's a very competitive map...

Awesome map. Many thanks for making this.

Only comment i would make is i usually dominate as the english
on the level im playing. Im actually struggling so i guess englands
position is fairly weak? unless im just playing badly . Still, its having great fun playing it

Thanks again!

Chris

Englands only real limitation is lack of land (obviously) however, They way I usually set it up when I play as her is set up 3 Major cities on the main island.

London where you start, then the next city on the oposite end of the island beyond the hills, then the 3rd up in the north, in one of the squares that's encircled by rivers, you get a really AWESOME production city out of that one.

Next City you can do one of two things first, but I'd recommend getting them both done:

- First, Settle the Isle. of Ireland. It might be tempting to put two cities on this island but I ALWAYS place one, and always in the same spot. When you get to the island, there's a space with a goody hut on the island. That goody hut is where you want to put the city because it's a magnificent spot, regardless of what kind of city you want it to become, that's the spot, and it'll pretty quickly become one of your best cities (despite you have few anyway... this city usually become better than my capital).

-Next, I'd recoment settling the Sweden/finland Island. This is the spot you risk loosing, as Germany and russia - if given the time - can settle it before you. I also normally place 2 cities on this island, one on each end.

This gives you 6 fantastic cities, and ALL of them are seperated from the mainland by sea... so that means all you 'really' need to do for military is keep a fleet to destroy possible invaders. It's really funny destroying 3 Galleons that contain an entire army of enemies while each of your cities are merely defended by 1 guy. I don't always lack in the military, but if you're gonna you NEED a good fleet, because if you do get a landfall, you're basically screwed (which ended up happening once, so I don't slack off on military that much anymore, It's just low on priority until I decide to invade others).

Lastly, as far as taking Europe is concerned, for maintainence/culture purposes, It should be obvious that you'd want to take out France first, and use the French cities as your Mainland base to assault the rest of the world.

Aaanyway, back to the map. There is so far ONE flaw I've come to see with it, well, two actually.

First one; All the nations seem to be fairly Balanced in their Start locations and Area of expansion, with the exception of Egypt. Egypt seems to be overpowered. Not sure about anyone else, but it seems EVERY game I play (and I've played tons on this map, it's one of the only 4 maps I play on) Egypt JUMPS ahead in score, real fast. They also take the tech lead early too, and manage to keep it for a long while. I play on various different speeds and difficulties also, and it seems to always be the case, Egypt on top. It's possible the combination of both rivers and floodplains in nearly every tile of the egyption capital location that could be responsibal for this, that locale gives insane food, and insane commerce.

The 2nd flaw is simple: Oil. There's way too much.

But like I've said in my previous post, It's a fabulous map.

Though I ended up editing it a bit, I actually made a Location for Sparta to be accurately placed, and I fattened up the southern italian Peninsula - Rome Seems to get the short end of the stick compared to any other civ, usually the deciding factor on their success depends on two different city locations, One that's a toss up between whether France or Rome will get it, and the other is a Toss up between whether Rome, Greece, or Germany will get it. (these locales are to the east and west of the italian penninsula, respectively). It seems if Rome doesn't manage to get either one of these city sites (i.e. gets boxed in by the other nations) It falls behind in score/success capability fast. SOooOoo.. I haven't played enough games with my personally changes yet... BUT, I'm hoping by fattening up the italian pennisula a bit, this will solve the problem.

whoo... longwinded.

Good post Jason - was interesting to read about your experiences with the English on this map.

And to the OP - nice work on the map. From all the positive comments I've read here I can't wait to play it.

I'm glad people that favor smaller maps haven't been forgotten.

Top Bottom